Gerhard den Hollander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> * Chris Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 01:27:43PM -0700)
>
> > I'd rather not use gtar, due to previous bad experiences with it.
>
> What were thos ebad experiences ?

Unfortunately, it's been a while, and I don't remember exactly.  It
seems like gtar would sometimes die in the middle of backups for no
good reason; I don't remember what error message it would output, but
it seemed equivalent to, "I can't read this file."  Then it would die,
in spite of the --ignore-failed-read that amanda gives it.  Even
worse, it was exiting with a status of 0.

At that point, I'd have a partial backup of one filesystem, and amanda
thought it was a complete backup.  I never figured out a way to tell
amanda that one particular backup from a backup run had failed, so I
was left with a choice between invalidating the whole night's backups
or leaving the bad backup in.

Chris

--
Chris Jones                                    SRI International, Inc.