I'm on my last brain cell...

I'm getting the dreaded "selfcheck request timed-out. Host down?" message from
amcheck.  I've read and re-read the faq.  After doing an "ls -lu" in the
server directory, I found that the executable isn't getting called when I run
amcheck.  (I believe that is what ls -lu does).

in my /etc/xinetd.d directory I have the amanda file (and an identical amandad
just in case) that looks like this:

service amandad
{
socket_type = dgram
protocol = udp
wait = yes
user = amanda
group = amanda
server = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
instances = 10
server_args = amandad
}

I don't know why I have to have "wait = yes" but I saw it in another conf
file.
Also I built this from source with the user=amanda and group=amanda.

I realize that there are billions of that could be broken so if I need to
elaborate more, I'd be more than happy to :)...

Thanks,
Andrew