Tom Strickland wrote:
> We're on the verge of ordering a DDS drive (this week). It'll probably
> be an HP Surestore - but the question is DDS3 or DDS4? There's the
> obvious difference in capacity, but beyond that are there any other
> differences? Speed is an obvious one - any others?

Keep in mind that amanda can't "span" individual backups across multiple
tapes and think about your requirements.  If you buy a new disk today,
18 GB is probably the smallest size that you will find easily available,
and that number keeps going up.  I work in an academic research lab
where now some people are getting 75 GB and 180 GB disk drives, and with
new instruments the data sets are increasing in size rapidly.  Even the
DDS4 isn't big enough anymore, so I'm having to look into getting a
tapedrive with higher capacity (or using GNUTAR to split up dumps, or
partitioning the drives into smaller chunks, both of which are kind of
messy solutions).  If things are different in whatever business you are
in, maybe the DDS3 would be adequate, but it's something to think about.

--
"Jonathan F. Dill" ([EMAIL PROTECTED])