If you use the amanda package that comes with RedHat 7.1, it will set
itself up in xinetd automatically.  You will need to edit the xinetd file
for amanda to enable it.

Note that if you are using high security, you will need to add rules to
ipchains for the backup server.  In particular, you need a rule that
allows:

     IP: backup_server -> backup_client, Port: any -> 10080, Proto: UDP

Also, Amanda will open up random TCP ports on the client for commands, data
and indexing.  This rule should should do the trick:

     IP: backup_server -> backup_client, Port: any -> any, Proto: TCP, SYN
Packets (-y)

Chris

                    "Desmond Lim"

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                    >                          cc:

                    Sent by:                   Subject:     Amanda on RH7.1

                    owner-amanda-users@

                    amanda.org

                    07/10/2001 06:28 AM

Hi Sir,

How do I backup my Samba server running on Redhat 7.1 using Amanda? There'
a part in the INSTALL which mentions about inetd.conf. But Redhat 7.1 don't
use inetd.conf, is there a problem?

Thanks.

warmest regards,

Desmond Lim