On Thu, 13 Dec 2001 at 10:33am, Vincent GRENET wrote

> Amanda dumper hangs sometimes; and backup fails with data timeout:
>
> I set dtimeout to 3600s; it hangs whether I use a holding disk or not.
> When the dump succeeds, it runs for 46 minutes.
>
> My configuration is a RHS 7.1 (amanda 2.4.2p2).

Many people (myself included) have hit this issue with Linux dump (or
perhaps the combo of Linux dump and 2.4 kernels).  You have two options.
You can upgrade to the latest dump/restore versions from
dump.sourceforge.net, and that may or may not fix the problem.  It didn't
for me.  Or you can switch to using GNUtar for your backups.  This is what
I did, and haven't looked back.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering