On a current version of Linux, building 3b3 with the configure option
"--disable-libtool" works OK... It also builds fine without disabling
libtool...

Can someone please suggest what I should examine to find the problem
that is preventing an amanda 3b3 build on Tru64?

Whenever the "--disable-libtool" option is specified then it would
appear to be used anyway. I have already determined that I am having
problems building 3b3 on Tru64 when "--disable-libtool" is not
specified... So I thought disabling the use of libtool would prevent
any attempt to use libtool.

Any suggestions?

thx