> > you may want to test the SAMBA connection:
> >
> > smbclient \\\\nt-server\\share
> >
> > (The extra slashes are not a mistake. They are used to escape the
> > backslashes under unix.)
>
> Just to save you guys some keystrokes, forward slash works equally well:
>
>  smbclient //nt-server/share
>
> --
> Ulrik Sandberg

I got a similar problem with my nt-clients. Amcheck says, it could not connect,
because
the password was wrong. Smbclient connects fine with the same password.
Didn't find out the reason.
What I do as a workaround:
Just before backing up, I mount the nt-shares on the backup-server using smbmount.
So I can back them up with any constellation using GNUTAR.
Maybe that helps you.
Anyway I would be interested in a real answer. Maybe it has something to do with
samba using encrypted/unencrypted passwords? Anybody got an idea?