As with most things, it all depends on what you want to accomplish.
You could get by without any holding disk, forcing all your backups to
go directly to tape, but this would take longer since whenever the tape
drive caught up with the data stream it would have to stop and reposition
itself.  Any tape error would cause the backups to not be done.  Also,
you need a much longer backup window since the backups would have to be
don serially.
   With a holding disk as large as one or two of your largest partitions,
Amanda can spool the backup images to the holding disk, and when an image
is complete Amanda can flush it to tape in one continuous stream while
collecting other images on the holding disk.  This speeds up your backups
and shortens your required backup window. If a tape error occurs then
whatever complete images that will fit on the holding disk will continue
and can be flushed to tape later.
   With a holding disk as large as your complete backup, you will still
get a complete backup run even if you forget to put a tape in the drive.
This also helps if there is a tape error early in the run and on holidays.
You can also increase the number of dumpers running in parallel to shorten
your backup window.
   There are also people on the list with large tapes and small daily runs
that let backups accumulate on the holding disk until they have a tape's
worth, and then flush the collected backups to tape.  There have been
discussions on the list on risks vs. merits of leaving backups on disk
for extended periods of time, though.

Hope this helps,
Frank

--
Frank Smith                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Systems Administrator                                     Voice: 512-374-4673