On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 04:57:07PM -0400, Cory Visi wrote:
> Ok, I have my daily tape backup set configured and working perfectly. Now I
> want to setup an archival (available for offsite storage) backup strategy.
> Here is how I want it to work:
>
>      Week 1: Full backup to tapes 1 and 2
>      Week 3: Take tapes 1 and 2 offsite
>      Week 5: Full backup to tapes 3 and 4
>      Week 7: Replace tapes 1 and 2, take tapes 3 and 4 offsite
>      Week 9: Full backup to tapes 1 and 2
>      etc...
>
>      There will be 4 tapes total, 2 tapes per backup. amdump will be run
> every 4 weeks.
>      The difficulty is that a full backup of our disks do not fit on one
> tape. We can easily fit the excess in the holding space though.

The limitation is not the size of the total backup.
The limitation is the size of the largest disklist entry.  No SINGLE entry
in the disklist can span a tape.  If you are using the same list (even if
in a different file and config) you already know each individual disklist
entry will fit onto a tape.

> Aside from the weird crontab line, how would I configure Amanda to handle
> this strategy? This is what I have right now (I know it's wrong because
> it's not working at all):
>
> dumpcycle 8 weeks

4 weeks

1

> tapecycle 4 tapes
>
> define dumptype comp-user-full {
>     comment "Non-root partitions on reasonably fast machines (full only)"
>     record yes

Probably no so your dailies don't think a full was done and will
still do their own at the appropriate times.

>     index yes
>     skip-incr yes

Some suggest a dumpcycle of 0 to always force full.

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 JG Computing