Without your indexes, amrecover won't know what to do.

Find the report(s) you got from the tape(s) you want to restore from. Pick
your newest level 0, then find the incrementals that follow it.

If your tape drive is /dev/nst0 (common for Linux), you can put the level 0
tape in and start with:

amanda@yourserver$ mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
amanda@yourserver$ dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32k count=1
(Should show the 'emergency restore' instructions and header block)

If you know how many file systems are between this point on the tape and the
one you want, some tape drives will allow you to seek past them:

amanda@yourserver$ mt -f /dev/nst0 fsf 3
(Skips /dev/somedisk1 /dev/somedisk2 /dev/somedisk3)

If that doesn't work, you'll have to step over them manually:
amanda@yourserver$ dd if=/dev/nst0 of=/dev/null bs=32k
(Will step over one partition on tape, repeat as needed)

Now get the first block again:
amanda@yourserver$ dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32k count=1
(It should contain restore instructions, using dump's restore or tar x;
follow them.)

Good Luck. I hope this helps.

P.S. Credit for the correct bits of the emergency restore instructions go to
John R. Jackson, credit for bad bits to my failing memory.