Hello all.

Last night my boss gave me a test to see if I can recover lost files before copying everything from his computer to our amanda server( I know we could backup his computer too, but we've chosen to use samba to store files on a share here and backup this share).  Anyway, so I couldn't do it, and obviously he isn't impressed.

Anyway, the problem comes when I try 'amrecover' from the / directory.  The error is:

[root@merlin /]# amrecover
AMRECOVER Version 2.4.2p2.  Contacting server on localhost . . .
220 merlin AMANDA index server (2.4.2p2) ready.
500 Access not allowed: [ access as amanda not allowed from [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]  amandahostsauth failed
[ root@merlin /]#

My amanda dumpuser is root, and in amanda, amandaidx and amidxtape are user = amanda.
My .amandahost looks like this:

merlin.systematic.lan    root
merlin.systematic.lan    amanda
localhost.localdomain    amanda

The file belong to root:root and has read and write privileges for the user owner only.

I've read the FAQ's and saw a similar problem, but with regard to amcheck.  I can amcheck and amdump fine.  What is the next step in troubleshooting?

Thanks, Trevor.