> I am at a total lose as to where you are in understanding tape usage.
> Let me try a few statements and see where they lead you.
>
> A single tape will never hold more than one amdump run at a time.
> (I'm ignoring amflush situations for now)
>
> A single amdump run if larger than a single tape can be placed on
> multiple tapes if the runtapes parameter is > 1.
>
> Once it tries to use a tape, amanda will not attempt to reuse that
> tape until it uses tapecycle minus 1 more tapes, i.e. will not reuse
> a tape until it has gone through an entire tapecycle of tapes.
>
> When a tape is reused, it is completely overwritten, from the beginning
> of the tape, destroying whatever was on the tape.

If I understand this correctly once a tape goes through an entire
tape cycle it will be overwritten. So say a tape with 100G capacity
has 60 gigs on it. If my tapecycle was at 4 weeks then when the tape
in question is loaded after 4 weeks does amanda start at the point
were the tape is meaning the last track it left off on or is the
taped rewind.

SO (and this is just an observation) after the dumpcycle is done
the best practice would be to offload your tapes offsite.

Craig Hancock