On Saturday 27 February 2010, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.hesk...@verizon.net>
wrote:
>> Well, frankly I just thought the efforts were going into the web pages
>> and didn't think too much about it till I saw what appears to be a
>> transition from GPL to a per seat fee schedule taking shape, with the
>> only link to the snapshots being the old page, which can be killed with
>> one stroke of the enter key.  Makes me a bit nervous about the continued
>> availability of my fav backup utility, which I have now been using for a
>> bit over a decade.  Playing the canary in the coal mine bit with the
>> snapshots is my way of contributing back and helping to make a great
>> program even better.
>
>First, let me be perfectly clear on a few factual issues:
>
>  ** Amanda is open source software, and always will be. **
>
>The nightly snapshots are provided as an aid to great folks like you
>who test the bleeding edge for the good of the project.  However, the
>authoritative copy of the Amanda source is the SourceForge subversion
>repository[1], which has seen no slow-down in the commit rate.  When
>we build Amanda for distribution to our customers, it is built from
>the SourceForge repository.
>
>As to the changes on amanda.org: the redesign process is nothing more
>than a visual/graphic design change to bring the site up to modern
>standards.  Little, if any, text on the site will change, and
>absolutely no policy change is indicated.  The demo was an incomplete
>example intended to garner feedback, that's all.  It seems that the
>incompleteness has caused some confusion, for which I apologize.
>
>Gene, thank you for expressing your concerns.  There are certainly
>questions that community members can and should ask about Amanda's
>development and about the work on amanda.org.  I think we (Zmanda)
>generally do the right thing, but if anyone disagrees, I hope they
>feel welcome to challenge that assertion.  Healthy discussions make
>healthy communities.
>
>Dustin
>
>[1] http://amanda.svn.sourceforge.net/

I am sorry Dustin, but the permissions problem alluded to earlier does not
seem to be fixed yet so the old link still shows the 20100131 versions as the
newest, and the 'download tarball' buttons on all the sourceforge pages at
the link above, while bringing up a requester asking what should firefox do
with this file, with the save button already checked, do nothing when
clicking on the ok.  No file is downloaded.

Breakage that continues for over 3 weeks now, does lead to questions, and the
replies seem to intend to placate, but have done nothing of substance to
restore our ability to continue our near daily testing of the bleeding edge.
And that of course makes me wonder if I am indeed the only person doing any
test builds and actual use of that test build at all.  I certainly hope not.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

"Pull the trigger and you're garbage."