On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 7:34 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.hesk...@verizon.net> wrote:
> I am sorry Dustin, but the permissions problem alluded to earlier does not
> seem to be fixed yet so the old link still shows the 20100131 versions as the
> newest, and the 'download tarball' buttons on all the sourceforge pages at
> the link above, while bringing up a requester asking what should firefox do
> with this file, with the save button already checked, do nothing when
> clicking on the ok.  No file is downloaded.

If I understand, you're talking about the "Download GNU Tarball" link
on the SourceForge ViewVC pages.  The link works for me, but even so
it's not a very effective way to download snapshots: the resulting
tarballs will not be the usual "distribution" tarballs, as they have
not had their ./autogen scripts run.  If you'd like, I can help you
modify your test scripts to build straight from subversion instead of
from snapshots.

> Breakage that continues for over 3 weeks now, does lead to questions, and the
> replies seem to intend to placate, but have done nothing of substance to
> restore our ability to continue our near daily testing of the bleeding edge.

I don't mean to placate - we screwed up.  But to be fair, you only
brought it up at 9pm on a Friday!  I'm sure it'll be sorted out soon.

I don't know exactly how Jean-Louis makes the snapshot tarballs, but
I've made a distribution tarball built from the latest subversion,
which should be similar, available here:
  http://djmitche.s3.amazonaws.com/amanda-2.6.2alpha.tar.gz
Let me know if you have any trouble making it work.

> And that of course makes me wonder if I am indeed the only person doing any
> test builds and actual use of that test build at all.  I certainly hope not.

I hope not, too!  Certainly the more people who test Amanda, the more
quickly and effectively we will catch and solve bugs.  I'm a big
believer in testing, both automated and manual.  It *is* disconcerting
that nobody (not even you?) noticed this for, as you say, three weeks.
 With luck, this thread will encourage some new folks to begin
regularly testing Amanda, especially the upcoming release.

"Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow" [1]

Dustin

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus'_Law

--
Open Source Storage Engineer