From: djmit...@gmail.com [djmit...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Dustin J. Mitchell
[dus...@zmanda.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2010 1:00 PM
To: McGraw, Robert P
Cc: amanda-users@amanda.org
Subject: Re: Tape Usage Question

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 11:22 AM, McGraw, Robert P <rmcg...@purdue.edu> wrote:
> Why would amanda pick a 37GB file when there is only ~28GB left on the tape
> and when there were plenty of files waiting to go to tape that were less than
> 28GB?

Amanda doesn't track a notion of "how much space is left on the tape"
- tape drives are too unreliable in this sense.  Amanda also assumes
that you can span from volume to volume, so getting as close as
possible to the end of a volume without going over is not useful.

You can affect the order in which dumps are made with the 'dumporder' parameter.

At the moment, I'm working on support for spanning without partial
parts, which should eliminate any loss of useful space on tapes due to
internal fragmentation.

Dustin

--
Open Source Storage Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com

---------

Dustin,

Thanks for your responce.

These are my taperalgo and dumporder settings.

taperalgo largestfit
dumporder "SSSSSS"

>From amanda.conf man page

largestfit

    The largest dump image that will fit on the current tape.

In my case there were several dump image that could have been written to the
tape. Amanda did not seem to pick the largest dump image that would fit on the
tape.

Thanks

Robert

Robert P. McGraw, Jr.
Manager, Computer System                    EMAIL: rmcg...@purdue.edu
Purdue University                            ROOM: MATH-807
Department of Mathematics                   PHONE: (765) 494-6055
150 N. University Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2067