On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Jon LaBadie <j...@jgcomp.com> wrote:
> When a large DLE doesn't tape all the split parts
> before running out of tapes, could the subsequent
> flush (amflush or autoflush) pick up where the
> original taping left off?
>
> I just had a large DLE (23 3GB parts) fail on
> the last part by just 800MB.  On the subsequent
> amdump the DLE autoflushed the entire 23 parts
> where only one part was needed.

Amanda has historically avoided this for, as I understand it,
reliability reasons.  Once the dump fails during one run, it's in the
catalog as a failed run and can't easily be "extended" into a
successful run.

That said, the multi-taper support now handles switching dumps from
one in-progress tape to another, so maybe the reliability reasons are
gone now?

At any rate, this would be pretty difficult to implement, but it's a cool idea!

Dusitn

--
Open Source Storage Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com