That did it.... Or may have done it.

I upgraded my FreeBSD sources to the latest 8.x stable and recompiled
the world (and kernel).  I then compiled and installed Perl-5.10.1 for
my FreeBSD by hand, specifically enabling its threaded option.
Finally, I recompiled and reinstalled Amanda 3.1.2.

I made a single virtual tape disk and tested the new configuration.
The taper process was accumulating run time in that configuration and
the single file system was backed up and transferred to 'tape'.  :)

I re-enabled my virtual tape configuration and the chg-disk changer,
and as I type this, I am flushing all the backup files that have been
accumulating from my tests over the last week. That appears to be
working as well.

Thank you.

--
Stephen Corbesero                        It's always darkest
Bethlehem, PA 18015                      before pitch black.