Upengan,

You have 50 gig under backup/amanda control, but how much data
are you currently backing up per week ?

With current settings, tapecycle and dumpcycle you will have
between 2 and 3 full dumps per partition "on tape" at any one
time, 2.x X 50 Gig >> 80 Gig so you are already short on (vtape) space.

I believe that vtape size is an upper bound, unused space on
the vtape is actually free space on the disk, so you can actually
oversubscribe the 300 gig pool by some percentage (depending on
numerous factors that we currently do NOT have a handle on).

With 4 Gig tapes... how large are your DLEs ? 4 Gig is relatively
small, are you using tape spanning or are all of the DLE's small ?

With 4-gig tapes and 50 gig under backup you must use 12 tapes
for a complete dump of the system, with a pool of 20 tapes you
can not have two complete dump cycles...

It seems that either I'm badly misunderstanding your config or
you are badly underconfiguring your tape pool.

There is probably more stuff we could address in your email
but I want to make sure I've understood this much before digging
elsewhere.

                                                Brian

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 10:27:15AM -0500, upengan78 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using Amanda on Solaris 10 "2.5.2p1,REV=2008.05.21" and amanda client on a
> solaris 8 which I beleive has same version of Amanda.
>
> I am not sure what settings for tapecycle dumpcycle should be used for
> efficient usage of Vtapes. I'd like advise in setting those parameters in
> amanda.conf
>
> Here is the situation,
>
> Data to be backed up is around 50G and grows by about 100-200MB each day.
>
> I have 20 Vtapes and each tape is 4G size on the server.  I do have total
> 300G available on server disk but I just decided to start with 80G to start
> with.
>
> Current settings in Amanda.conf are,
>

> dumpcycle 7
> runspercycle 7
> tapecycle 20
> dumpuser "amanda"
> tpchanger "chg-disk"                            # a virtual tape changer
> tapedev "file:/export/amanda/vtapes/test/slots"
> changerfile "/opt/csw/etc/amanda/test/changerfile"
> labelstr "TEST-.*"
> #label_new_tapes "TEST-%%"
> #autolabel "TEST-%%"
> tapetype DVD_SIZED_DISK
> logdir "/opt/csw/etc/amanda/test"
> infofile "/opt/csw/etc/amanda/test/curinfo"
> indexdir "/opt/csw/etc/amanda/test/index"
> tapelist "/opt/csw/etc/amanda/test/tapelist"
> #etimeout 600     # number of seconds per filesystem for estimates.
> etimeout 3600     # number of seconds per filesystem for estimates.
> #etimeout -600   # total number of seconds for estimates.
> # a positive number will be multiplied by the number of filesystems on
> # each host; a negative number will be taken as an absolute total time-out.
> # The default is 5 minutes per filesystem.
> #dtimeout 1800    # number of idle seconds before a dump is aborted.
> dtimeout 3600    # number of idle seconds before a dump is aborted.
> ctimeout 30      # maximum number of seconds that amcheck waits
>                  # for each client host
>

> holdingdisk hd1 {
>     directory "/random/amanda/amandahold/test"
> }
>
> define dumptype comp-tar {
>     program "GNUTAR"
>     compress fast
>     index yes
>     record yes  # Important! avoid interfering with production runs
> }
>
> define tapetype DVD_SIZED_DISK {
>     filemark 4 KB
>     length 4482 MB
> }
>
> I'd like to retain backup for a month if that's possible by doing some
> modifications in amanda.conf and adding more tapes of modifying tape size or
> so..
>
> Please advise..
>
> Thanks

> |This was sent by upendra.gan...@gmail.com via Backup Central.
> |Forward SPAM to ab...@backupcentral.com.

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cutt...@wadsworth.org

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.