Christ,

Yes, Solaris, ZFS, and after a long discussion with my manager
we met with a 3rd admin who identified the fibre switch had
dropped a couple of paths. Disk arrays where fine, host was
fine, lost connection in the middle, fortunately redundant,
though slower, paths where available.

The paths where downed in the controller and then reconfigured
on the server and we think we have resolved the underlying problem.

Even so, I'm sure someone will ask me again about the --best
that shows for compression for user amanda during the nightly
run. Was my little graphic on target ?

                                                thanks,

                                                Brian

On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 11:53:15AM -0800, Christ Schlacta wrote:
> [...]
> since the last time you had no issues.
>

> On 12/5/2011 10:42, Brian Cuttler wrote:
> >Charles,
> >
> >We are already using pigz, it makes a huge difference.
> >
> >We are seeing a lot of sluggishness, command line, during
> >the day when amanda ISN'T running. Perhaps also for the
> >samba shares, though I don't map any from this box.
> >
> >I'm trying to differentiate CPU vs Disk I/O and amanda running
> >vs amanda not running.
> >
> >When I hear "amanda is running gzip --best" and that is why
> >we are slow, it makes me nuts, because I'm pretty sure that
> >whatever the compression is its not causing the I/O bottleneck
> >hours after amanda completes, and I really believe that after
> >looking into this previously the --best it attached to the
> >thread that is producing the index files, rather than the
> >half of the tee that generates data for work area/tape.
> >
> >Box is an x4500 (I'll recheck that) with lots of fibre/fabric
> >attached disk in the form of zpools.
> >
> >I think we may simply have saturated the system. I just want
> >to pull amanda out of the equation as early as possible so that
> >we can pursue the underlying reason(s) for the problem, rather
> >than become fixated on amanda and my spinning my wheels after
> >the idea becomes set in other people's minds.
> >
> >                                             thanks,
> >
> >                                             Brian
> >
> >On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 11:07:00AM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:

> >>It would use I/O if it generates swapping.
> >>
> >>If you have a multi-processor box, try pigz.

> >>   pigz, which stands for Parallel Implementation of GZip, is a fully
> >>   functional replacement for gzip that takes advantage of multiple
> >>   processors and multiple cores when compressing data.
> >>
> >>Homepage: http://zlib.net/pigz/
> >>
> >>I don't know if that would help with a swapping issue, but it should
> >>help speed up backups anyway.
> >>
> >>--
> >>
> >>Charles Curley                  /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
> >>Looking for fine software       \ /    Respect for open standards
> >>and/or writing?                  X     No HTML/RTF in email
> >>http://www.charlescurley.com    / \    No M$ Word docs in email
> >>
> >>Key fingerprint = CE5C 6645 A45A 64E4 94C0  809C FFF6 4C48 4ECD DFDB
> >---
> >    Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cutt...@wadsworth.org
> >    Computer Systems Support        (v) 518 486-1697
> >    Wadsworth Center                (f) 518 473-6384
> >    NYS Department of Health        Help Desk 518 473-0773
> >

> >IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
> >confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
> >privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
> >is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
> >from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
> >distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
> >sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your

---