On 02/25/2013 01:14:22 AM, Amit Karpe wrote:
On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Amit Karpe <amitka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Jon LaBadie <j...@jgcomp.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 11:20:37AM +0800, Amit Karpe wrote:
>> > Any idea for my problem.
>>
>> The last line of your first message seems critical:

>> If you can't read or write using standard system tools
>> like dd, there is nothing amanda can do about it.
>> Sounds to me like you have hardware problems, either
>> the tape drive or maybe the cables.
>>
>> Jon
>> --
>> Jon H. LaBadie                 j...@jgcomp.com
>>  11226 South Shore Rd.          (703) 787-0688 (H)
>>  Reston, VA  20190              (609) 477-8330 (C)
>>

> I had ask HP for support. Their log tool saying my labels are the culprit.
> He is asking me to use only barcode labeling:
> "As per the Amanda Tool output and logs there is one cartridge in the MSL > which has either missing or worng barcode label or the barcode label is
> properly aligned as per Tape Cartridge
>
> Please remove all the tapes and check if you find such cartridge and if > you find that then put the Barcode Lable correctly on it and insert it back
> in the same slot
>
> This error occurs because during initialzation before beackup the MSL take > the Inventory of the cartridges in the MSL and if there is any mislatch
> cartridge, it halts the process of backup"
>

> As far as my understanding amanda don't required any barcode labeling.
> Then what is a problem ?
> How can I cross check and confirm that "hardware problems, either the tape
> drive or maybe the cables." ??

Following link have photos of my tapes. Can someone confirm that having
such label will be the problem ???

http://news.karpe.net.in/hp-storageworks-msl2024-tape-library-1-lto-4

My old LTO-1 and LTO-2 tape libraries didn't care about barcode labels.
My LTO-4 (StorageTek SL-500) libraries won't load a tape and bring it
online unless it has a correctly formatted barcode label. You can buy
them pre-printed but we just make our own using a simple "Brother Ptouch"
label maker and 3/4 inch (18mm) tape. I think a proper label has up to
8 alpha-numerics but the last 2 characters have to be "L4" (if it's an
LTO4 tape) or the library/drive won't know what to do with it.

My cleaning cartridge with a factory barcode is labeled "CLNU01CU".

I like to do my own barcode labels so that the human readable label
matches the amanda software label. The L4 extension doesn't actually
show when I do something like an "mtx status" so I don't include that
in the amanda label.

IBM has a pdf of the LTO label spec here:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=543&context=STCVQ6R&q1=ssg1*&uid=ssg1S7000429&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en+en

or

http://tinyurl.com/LTO-label-spec

Good luck!