On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 17:48:46 -0400, Chris Hoogendyk wrote:
> If I exchange the two commands so that I'm using gtar directly rather
> than runtar, then I get:
>
>    /usr/sfw/bin/gtar: Cowardly refusing to create an empty archive
>    Try `/usr/sfw/bin/gtar --help' or `/usr/sfw/bin/gtar --usage' for more
>    information.

I can't see why this is happening off hand, but generally that means
that either the trailing "." is missing from the command that was
actually executed, or that argument getting "eaten" by some other
option.  You might try printing out out ${COMMAND} immediately before
running it, just to make sure nothing obvious is missing that way.

(Also, any particular reason you are using "exec" here?  I don't know
why it would be eating the "." under ksh, but you might try without that
and see if the problem goes away.)

Worst case, try adding the name of a file found in your
/export/herbarium directory after the "." and see if that at least
allows gtar to run.

                                                Nathan

Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic region
Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -   http://www.ontko.com/
 GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
 Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239