Jean-Louis,

Yes, the ability to hit the socket makes sense, especially as
amcheck is ok and amdump, which uses many more network resources,
does not.

I'm not seeing the failures I'd expect to see, which may simply
mean I don't actually know what I'm looking for.

The failure "bad security" is confusing to me in terms of the
networking.

I've already been over the sockets on the new client with the
manager of that system, but will do so again on Monday morning.

[root@stackb ~]# /sbin/iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain RH-Firewall-1-INPUT (2 references)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp any
ACCEPT     esp  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             224.0.0.251         udp dpt:mdns
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp dpt:ipp
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:ipp
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:https
ACCEPT     udp  --  199.184.30.0/24      anywhere            udp dpt:mysql
ACCEPT     udp  --  curieb.wadsworth.org  anywhere            udp spts:932:948
dpt:amanda
ACCEPT     tcp  --  curieb.wadsworth.org  anywhere            tcp
spts:10084:itap-ddtp dpts:10084:itap-ddtp
ACCEPT     udp  --  curie.wadsworth.org  anywhere            udp spts:932:948
dpt:amanda
ACCEPT     tcp  --  curie.wadsworth.org  anywhere            tcp
spts:10084:itap-ddtp dpts:10084:itap-ddtp
ACCEPT     tcp  --  199.184.30.0/24      anywhere            tcp dpt:mysql
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:http
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW tcp
dpt:ssh
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with
icmp-host-prohibited

In the mean time, just for reference, I cleaned out the server's
files under /tmp/amanda and then ran amdump against the one client.

> amdump curie labsci-stage

I am attaching the /tmp/amanda tree as a tar file. Just so its
not lost if we need to refer back to it later on.

                                                thank you/good weekend,

                                                Brian

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 01:28:02PM -0700, Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:
> On 04/12/2013 11:52 AM, Brian Cuttler wrote:
> >
> >amandad: try_socksize: send buffer size is 65536
> >amandad: try_socksize: receive buffer size is 65536
> >amandad: time 3.128: bind_portrange2: trying port=831
> >amandad: time 3.129: stream_server: waiting for connection: 0.0.0.0.36507
> >amandad: try_socksize: send buffer size is 65536
> >amandad: try_socksize: receive buffer size is 65536
> >amandad: time 3.136: bind_portrange2: trying port=831
> >amandad: time 3.136: stream_server: waiting for connection: 0.0.0.0.38560
> >amandad: try_socksize: send buffer size is 65536
> >amandad: try_socksize: receive buffer size is 65536
> >amandad: time 3.143: bind_portrange2: trying port=831
> >amandad: time 3.144: stream_server: waiting for connection: 0.0.0.0.49357
> >amandad: time 3.144: sending REP pkt:
> ><<<<<
> >CONNECT DATA 36507 MESG 38560 INDEX 49357
> >OPTIONS features=fffffeff9ffeffff07;
>
> The server should connect to these ports, check the server dumper debug
> files, try to disable firewall and selinux.
>
> Jean-Louis

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cutt...@wadsworth.org