sorry, no I hadn't disabled compression. Today I installed mt-st and following
the wiki I ran:

mt -f /dev/sg2 compression 0
mt -f /dev/sg2 defcompression 0

but when I now run amtapetype it still tells me:

Applying heuristic check for compression.
Wrote random (uncompressible) data at 73376008.2580645 bytes/sec
Wrote fixed (compressible) data at 101095833.6 bytes/sec
Compression: enabled

how can I make sure hardware compression is off?