OK, this is odd. Here's what I get, can you guys help me figure this out?

$ mtx -f /dev/sg2 status
  Storage Changer /dev/sg2:1 Drives, 8 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Storage Element 2 Loaded):VolumeTag = ABR832L6

      Storage Element 1:Full :VolumeTag=ABR833L6
      Storage Element 2:Empty
      Storage Element 3:Empty
      Storage Element 4:Empty
      Storage Element 5:Empty
      Storage Element 6:Empty
      Storage Element 7:Empty
      Storage Element 8:Empty

$ tapeinfo -f /dev/st0
Product Type: Tape Drive
Vendor ID: 'HP      '
Product ID: 'Ultrium 6-SCSI  '
Revision: '22CW'
Attached Changer API: No
SerialNumber: 'HU1246T9JH'
MinBlock: 1
MaxBlock: 16777215
SCSI ID: 0
SCSI LUN: 0
Ready: yes
BufferedMode: yes
Medium Type: Not Loaded
Density Code: 0x5a
BlockSize: 0
DataCompEnabled: no
DataCompCapable: yes
DataDeCompEnabled: yes
CompType: 0x1
DeCompType: 0x1
BOP: yes
Block Position: 0
ActivePartition: 0
EarlyWarningSize: 0
NumPartitions: 0
MaxPartitions: 3

$ amtapetype -c -f /dev/st0
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LC_CTYPE = "UTF-8",
        LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
Checking for FSF_AFTER_FILEMARK requirement
Applying heuristic check for compression.
Wrote random (uncompressible) data at 73472726.7096774 bytes/sec
Wrote fixed (compressible) data at 101229090.133333 bytes/sec
Compression: enabled

NOTE: I mistyped my last email. I ran mt on /dev/st0, not sg2. this email has
the correct devices.

Thanks for the help so far, Jean-François

On Apr 30, 2013, at 4:51 PM, Jean-Francois Malouin
<jean-francois.malo...@bic.mni.mcgill.ca> wrote:

> * Abilio Carvalho <abilio.carva...@bbp.ch> [20130430 10:36]:
>> sorry, no I hadn't disabled compression. Today I installed mt-st and
>> following the wiki I ran:
>>
>> mt -f /dev/sg2 compression 0
>> mt -f /dev/sg2 defcompression 0
>>
>> but when I now run amtapetype it still tells me:
>>
>> Applying heuristic check for compression.
>> Wrote random (uncompressible) data at 73376008.2580645 bytes/sec
>> Wrote fixed (compressible) data at 101095833.6 bytes/sec
>> Compression: enabled
>>
>> how can I make sure hardware compression is off?
>
> Make sure you have a tape loaded.
> Replace the tape drive scsi generic device sgX accordingly.
> In case of LTO5 here is what I get:
>
> ~# tapeinfo -f /dev/sgX
> Product Type: Tape Drive
> Vendor ID: 'HP      '
> Product ID: 'Ultrium 5-SCSI  '
> DataCompEnabled: yes
> DataCompCapable: yes
> DataDeCompEnabled: yes
>
> ~# mt-st -f /dev/nst0 defcompression 0
> ~# tapeinfo -f /dev/sgX
> DataCompEnabled: no
> DataCompCapable: yes
> DataDeCompEnabled: yes
>
> hth,
> jf
>

>> On Apr 17, 2013, at 6:40 PM, Jean-Francois Malouin
>> <jean-francois.malo...@bic.mni.mcgill.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> * Abilio Carvalho <abilio.carva...@bbp.ch> [20130417 10:19]:

>>> Hmmm, speed look way off. Native speed is 160MBs for LTO6...
>>> Did you disable hardware compression before running amtapetype?
>>> Also, you might want to test with larger blocksize, for LTO5 I use 2MB
>>> with good results....
>>>
>>> hth,
>>> jf

the system manager.

Clearswift for the presence of computer viruses.

www.clearswift.com