On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 11:37:44AM -0500, Brian Cuttler wrote:

> The LTO is advertised as having block level decision making on
> compression so that it doesn't expand the data, wonder if that
> is not quite true.

My experience is limited to LTO-1, but I found amtapetype gave
'exactly' the same number of blocks capacity for compression on
and off.

> Also - Isn't there another level of tape header that needs to be
> cleared? Isn't re-writing the tape with compression off a little
> bit of a trick? If you don't clear that other level of header, then
> the compression is determined by the header info and not by the
> device type selected when you write the tape?

Personal opinion;  That whole "hidden header" is bogus, perpetuated
by our friend Gene.  It appears to be the situation if you turn off
compression and try to use a previously compressed tape with amanda.

However, remember what amanda always does before writing any tape
(with the possible exception of amtapetype).  It first reads the
beginning of the tape for possible (and correct) amanda header.
Reading a tape automatically sets the compression to whatever
the tape previously used.  So if the data currently on the tape
is HW-compressed, the drive switches to HW-compress mode.

--
Jon H. LaBadie                 j...@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd.          (703) 787-0688 (H)