On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 02:11:15PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 January 2014 13:13:43 Brian Cuttler did opine:

> > Also - Isn't there another level of tape header that needs to be
> > cleared? Isn't re-writing the tape with compression off a little
> > bit of a trick? If you don't clear that other level of header, then
> > the compression is determined by the header info and not by the
> > device type selected when you write the tape?
> >
> This has been true for me Brian.  What I have found that works to shut it
> off for good:
>
> rewind the tape
> dd the 1st 32k block to a scratch file
> rewind the tape.
> execute the hardware compression off command _for_ _your_ drive.
> dd that scratch file back to the tape.

Untested as I haven't experienced the problem, but I feel the
procedure could be rewind, hw compression off, dd any significant
amount of data, probably from /dev/random, would work as well.
I.e. just get some uncompressed data first on the tape.

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                 j...@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd.          (703) 787-0688 (H)