Hey Jon,

I would expect them to be network-type speeds on a T1 even as the buckets
are mounted via FUSE.  I don't have numbers, but I can say that a copy of
one of my databases to /mnt/s3/bucket1 of around 250MB will timeout
approximately 30% of the time.  But I'm sure that copying over incremental
changes, either via amanda or rsync would be successful.

At this time, my holding disk (two 2TB drives - zfs mirrored) is sufficient
to contain two or three full dumps of / of both clients that I'm interested
in backing up, and probably will be for another year or so - the data
growth is expected to be around 7% annually.

And now that I brought that up, I haven't yet considered any kind of
long-term archiving. One step at a time though.

--
Andrius