On Friday 25 July 2014 15:59:37 Jon LaBadie did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 02:45:50PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > It turns out some of my backups for this machine will not be usable,
> > particularly for a bare metal recovery on a new drive, due to a miss-
> > understanding of the --one-filesystem option by tar-1.27, and 1.27.1
> > does not fix it.
> >
> > The problem is that this system is currently installed with two
> > partitions, 3 actually if you count swap space.
> >
> > They are /boot, and /
> >
> > So tar refuses to back up a softlink that points to a directory/file
> > that is in a different dir than the current disklist entry points
> > to, EVEN THOUGH IT IS IN FACT on the same filesystem.
> >
> > The config I've been using for a decade and change uses that option
> > command.  Will removing it (--one-filesystem) from my config fix this
> > missing links in the backup problem?  Or will that result in its
> > making a duplicate backup file of what is at the end of that
> > softlink?
> >
> > IMNSHO, when tar encounters such a link, instead of making a backup
> > of that file at the end of the link, it should backup the contents
> > of the links text so that an amrecovery will re-create the link
> > file.
> >
> > It is not doing that either, so how do, or can, I force tar to do
> > that and result in a fully usable backup?
> >
> > This does not seem to me to be a violation of the one filesystem
> > command, making sense ONLY if the link is to a different partition,
> > which could be a different filesystem, which this present situation
> > is most certainly not.  Different directory yes, different
> > filesystem, no.
>
> I don't think --one-file-system has anything to do with it.  That
> option deals with encountering a directory that is on another
> filesystem and whether tar should backup what is in, and below, that
> directory.
>
> The option for dealing with symbolic links is --dereference (-h).
> Without that option the symbolic link is archived regardless of
> the location of the target and regardless of the --one-file-system
> option.  With the --dereference option the target is archived,
> again regardless of location and --one-file-system option.
>
> Jon

Jon, I should defer to your knowledge, but I just did an amrecover on my
lathes control box, and had to re-create several missing softlinks to
bring it up. I probably don't have them all fixed yet, but it is running.

The tar on those boxes is 1.22.

Thanks Jon.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)