On 01/25/2015 10:27 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
My amanda server has a really large holding disk, because disk is cheap
and because lots of disk striping generally equals better write
performance.

The usual restore operation I have to do is pulling things off of last
night's backup, which involves waiting for the library to load things
and such, and of course hoping that there's no problem with the tapes.
But there's a good chance that the backup image I need was just on the
holding disk, and if it hadn't been deleted then there would be no
reason to touch the tapes at all.  In fact, even with LTO6 tapes, I
should still be able to fit several tapes worth of backups on the
holding disk.

Is there any way to force amanda to delay deleting dumps until it
actually needs space on the holding disk?  Or, is there any particular
place I might start looking in order to hack this in somehow?

Interesting idea!

The main problem is that if you leave the dump in the holding disk, amanda will automatically re-flush (autoflush) them on the next run. There is no way to store the information about dump that are already flushed and dump that are not flushed.

The amanda development branch have that capabilities. Implementing this feature will be a lot easier.

Jean-Louis