I've just read through the long thread prompted by this particular post.  I'd
like to offer a few points I didn't see mentioned before...

Idea one: You upgraded from 2.5 to 3.3.  2.5 amdump only spoke UDP with a 'bsd'
auth protocol, so that was the only action available.  Thus, inetd.conf didn't
specify an -auth=bsd parameter.  3.3 defaults to -auth=bsdtcp if you don't
provide it.  Does your new configuration specify that those clients must be
reached with -auth=bsd from the new server, rather than the server's new
default of -auth=bsdctp?

Idea two: If any of the involved machines are running iptables or ufw
firewalls, verify the new configuration is still loading the correct kernel
modules. At one point the /etc/default/ufw.conf file named kernel modules
incorrectly after an upgrade, and/or the nf_conntrack_amanda module itself went
missing.  (Some kernels change the name of this module, usually it's the first
two characters.)  The symptom here is that amcheck thinks everything is fine,
yet the actual amdump process fails because the  UDP control conversation
between the server and the client is allowed, but the TCP data stream amdump
uses with -auth=bsdtcp is blocked.

Idea Three: I run an Amanda 3.3.3 server, and I have experienced a similar
problem to your own.  I've tried posting about it here in the past and got null
response, so I gave up asking for help and figured out my own workarounds.

My amanda server is behind a corporate firewall, and some of the clients are in
the DMZ, outside the firewall... and they are running amanda 2.5 due to the age
of the client hosts.   I've had repeated issues with the corporate firewall
interfering with the planner.

The issue I see is that the amanda server planner fires off a UDP "connection"
to the client, asking the client to provide estimates.  The client does so...
BUT.  That blasted firewall has created a dynamic NAT rule that will allow the
client to send back its UDP response.  IF the client's response doesn't appear
before the NAT rule expires, the planner falls into a permanent wait state,
waiting for a UDP response that will never arrive because the firewall has
blocked it.  The client has no idea it failed, and its logs look entirely
normal.

If you dig into the server's logs, you will probably find TIMEOUT errors in the
logs from the planner.  I don't have any recent logs that illustrate this
error, so I can't quote an example.

I worked around this in two ways (varies with the client situation:)

  *) tell amanda to not use the client to create the estimate at all
  *) adjust the NAT timeout rules on the firewall to extend the timeout.  As I
recall, it was initially set to 120 seconds.  We moved it up to 300 seconds at
one point, but then began to experience issues with the firewall filling memory
tables because rules weren't timing out fast enough.

As I see it, the planner makes the (unsafe) assumption that IF its initial
request-an-estimate packets traveled properly, the response will always do so.
If there is a firewall involved, the response might get lost, yet the planner
will sit there forever, twiddling its thumbs and not backing up anything, until
it receives the missing estimates package back from the client.

To summarize, I suspect that the move from 2.5's UDP-only communication style
to 3.3's default TCP-only style has broken something in your environment that
you've overlooked.  Either the server, the clients (or both) or a firewall
(either an external network firewall, or a kernel firewall on one of the hosts
involved) are breaking your planner.  I've experienced very similar symptoms
after version upgades.

(And yes, I've seen my issues disappear when jobs are run manually, yet still
fail when run over night.  Manual tests don't trigger the firewall issues
because the windows I have open the to the client and server keep the darn
firewall from timing out the dynamic NAT rules.)