On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 11:35 AM, Alan Hodgson <ahodg...@lists.simkin.ca>
wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 09:57:32 AM Chris Nighswonger wrote:
> > I attempted Alan's suggestion and dd'd to the tape. /dev/md0 is > 130G
> and
> > dd borked almost immediately:
> >
> > root@scriptor:/home/manager dd if=/dev/md0 of=/dev/st0
> > dd: writing to ‘/dev/st0’: Input/output error
> > 3+0 records in
> > 2+0 records out
> > 1024 bytes (1.0 kB) copied, 15.2882 s, 0.1 kB/s
> >
> > Funny thing is that the Superloader passes all of its internal
> diagnostics
> > as far as I can tell.
> >
> > Suggestions on how to verify which piece of hardware is causing the
> problem
> > would be greatly appreciated.
> >

> That's kind of tough unless you have either a separate tape drive, or a
> separate server/SAS controller/cable combination to test.
>
> It seems to be talking OK to the loader, though, so odds are it's the
> drive.
>
> Quantum's pretty good about taking RMA's on the Superloaders without too
> much
> fuss, as long as you have a maintenance contract in place.

So the Quantum tech had me run a device health test on the drive using
their xTalk utility. The drive failed with some sort of comm error similar
to what Amanda was seeing. So he then had me clean the drive twice and
re-run the health test. The drive passed this time around.

So if it was dirty heads, why did the drive not indicate cleaning needed?
Or does the drive just indicate cleaning based on tape motion hours?

Here are the stats retrieved from the drive. Only 35 hrs in motion. Seems a
bit early for a cleaning...

Drive Information Report
    Drive Type ---------------- : Ultrium 4 HH SCSI
    Drive Serial Number ------- : HU********
    Media Changer Present ----- : No
    Vendor  ID ---------------- : QUANTUM
    Product ID ---------------- : ULTRIUM 4
    Product Revision Level ---- : W61T
    Product Family ------------ : 800.0 / 1600.0 GB
    Servo FW Revision --------- : N/A
    Power On Hours ------------ : 4681
    Tape Motion Hours --------- : 35
    Load Count ---------------- : 308
    Cleaning Tape Count ------- : 2

We will see what happens during the nightly backup run tonight.