fellow amanda-users,

at a customer we saw the following happen:

amanda-3.3.5 (we went back as 3.3.9 isn't yet working fine in gentoo
linux), an 8-slot tape library.

As long as the next tape(s) are in the library: everything great

If the admin forgets to change tapes every week and the next tape to use
is NOT in the library, amanda goes wild and doesn't stop scanning for
the next tape ... it goes through the 8 slots over and over again and
even spawns processes over and over until we have to kill the amdump etc

It should simply dump DLEs to holding disk if it doesn't find the next
tape within the library, right?

-

Maybe I got some mistake in my thinking (=config):

dumpcycle 1 weeks
runspercycle 5
tapecycle 28 tapes # the admin has 28 on site

runtapes 3

define changer robot {
   tpchanger "chg-robot:/dev/sg1"
   property "tape-device" "0=tape:/dev/nst0"
   property "eject-before-unload" "no"
   property "use-slots" "1-8"
   device_property "LEOM" "TRUE"
}

tapedev "robot"

reserve 40

(anything else relevant here?)

-

If it helps I could ask the admin for debug-logs ... or we re-trigger
that behavior by unloading the tapes.

thanks for any pointers, Stefan