SGW> If the admin forgets to change tapes every week and the next tape
SGW> to use is NOT in the library, amanda goes wild and doesn't stop
SGW> scanning for the next tape

You don't actually say what kind of library you have so you aren't going
to get any responses like "I have the same one and it works OK for me;
here's my config."

I will say that I used to have the problem where amanda wouldn't trust
the barcode reader and would instead scan all 24 tapes in my library the
hard way when all of the tapes had been used.  There's a brief
discussion about that on this list, and the solution was to change to
chg-robot.  But you're already using that, so I've no idea.

The only relevant thing that's missing from your setup that I have is a
changerfile definition:

define changer magnum {
        tpchanger "chg-robot:/dev/sg8"
        property "tape-device" "0=tape:/dev/nst0"
        device-property "LEOM" "TRUE"
        device-property "BLOCK_SIZE" "512k"
        changerfile "/var/lib/amanda/chg-robot-dev-sg8"
}

So you might want to find where the changer program is storing its state
and post that file.  (And make sure that it's actually storing some
state.)

 - J<