Well, that got me a lot closer. I gave user backup read permission to /etc/amanda/DailySet1/amanda.conf on the "backup" backup server. Now when I run amrecover, I can do a sethost and a setdisk. But after doing so, an ls gives me an empty list. No error message. It's just that there are no files listed. On the real backup server, where the backups are actually being made, I do get a list of files, just as normal. I checked the permissions on the index and info files. They look right.

Actually, I moved the location of the indexdir and infofile to be on the same remote nfs share as the virtual tapes themselves. So when I run amrecover on the backup backup server, it is reading the same files as it is when I run it on the real backup server. I think moving those files to the remote nfs server was a good thing, not just for this use but also, now amanda's index and info files are in another building. I would still like to be able to use amrecover on two different hosts in my buildijng though.