Well, due to the resounding silence ….   let’s try some experiments:
What happens when you manually dump  (or tar?)  the area to a scratch area?
What size backup do you get?
Perhaps some of the files are large but marked  “no dump”  or something.
(Though I imagine estimates take that into account.)
But you could look through your manual dump and see what areas DIDN’T get
dumped.

You could also go through AMRECOVER  and look at the list of files dumped
on your existing, real amdump.  See what files don’t seem to be there?

Deb Baddorf
Fermilab