On Fri, Aug 04, 2017 at 15:57:32 -0600, ghe wrote:
> STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:
>   /-- sbox.slsware.net / lev 1 STRANGE
>   sendbackup: start [sbox.slsware.net:/ level 1]
>   sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/tar
>   sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/bin/tar -xpGf - ...
>   sendbackup: info end
>   ? /bin/tar: ./boot: directory is on a different filesystem; not dumped
>   ? /bin/tar: ./home: directory is on a different filesystem; not dumped
>   ? /bin/tar: ./mnt: directory is on a different filesystem; not dumped
>   ? /bin/tar: ./tmp: directory is on a different filesystem; not dumped
>   ? /bin/tar: ./usr: directory is on a different filesystem; not dumped
>   ? /bin/tar: ./var: directory is on a different filesystem; not dumped
>   | Total bytes written: 2938880 (2.9MiB, 6.6MiB/s)
>   sendbackup: size 2870
>   sendbackup: end
>
> The directory may be on a different partition, but it's not on a
> different filesystem. They're all on /, and right at the top.

("partition" and "filesystem" mean the same thing in this context.  If
you look at the output of "df" or "mount", I think you will see that
each of these items refers to a mount point for a separate filesystem --
otherwise they would't need to be listed separately in the disklist
file....)

> Part of my disklist is:
>
> ## sbox
> sbox.slsware.net      /               high-tar 40
> sbox.slsware.net      /boot           high-tar 40
> sbox.slsware.net      /home           high-tar 40
> sbox.slsware.net      /tmp            high-tar 40
> sbox.slsware.net      /usr            high-tar 40
> sbox.slsware.net      /var            high-tar 40
>
> Notice that it doesn't ask for /mnt...
>
> Then down at the bottom it says:
>
> DUMP SUMMARY:
> HOSTNAME            DISK        L ORIG-kB  OUT-kB ...
> sbox.slsware.net    /           1    2870    2870
> sbox.slsware.net    /boot       1      10      10
> sbox.slsware.net    /home       0 7691120 7691120
> sbox.slsware.net    /tmp        1     280     280
> sbox.slsware.net    /usr        0 3114740 3114740
> sbox.slsware.net    /var        0 1167590 1167590
>
> It says some of the DLEs aren't dumped, then it dumps them. And I've
> restored from some of the 'not dumped' DLEs, using amrecover (so
> amanda's directory of the tape exists).

Note that the messages you quoted are in the message section for the
"sbox.slsware.net /" DLE.  When Amanda calls GNU tar it passes the
--one-file-system option, so when the backup is run for the "/"
filesystem, tar prints those warning messages for each mount point it
runs across as it traverses the directory hierarchy under "/", warning
you that the filesystems mounted on those points are being skipped.

However, because you have listed certain other mount points explicitly
in your disklist file, Amanda will _also_ run tar (in a separate
invocation) for each of those mount points individually -- and thus each
of the DLEs show up in the DUMP SUMMARY section.

In other words, you should think of the message as "the current
invocation of GNU tar is not dumping this filesystem" rather than
"tonight's Amanda run is not dumping this filesystem".

(All of your mount points here are directly under "/", but say you had a
separate filesystem mounted on "/var/big_database".  In that case the message
section for */var* would be the one to include a warning message about
skipping the filesystem under "./big_database", etc.)

> I've been backing up with Amanda for years, and didn't see this back
> then. (This has been happening for quite a while; I'm just wondering
> about it now.)

GNU tar was modified a few years ago to print that "not dumped" warning
message.  I don't remember the details off-hand, but I think it just
silently skipped mount points (assuming --one-file-system was given)
before that, which is why you didn't see those warning messages when you
started.  Let me know if you want additional details and I can dig up
links to more information.

                                                        Nathan

Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic region
Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -   http://www.ontko.com/
 GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
 Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239