Amanda just runs OS provided backup programs, such as DUMP and TAR.
Any other work your database needs must be done in advance, as you suggest with
your cron job suggestion.
Amanda won’t “prune” databases … but she’ll back up the file that’s on the disk.

Others: correct me if I’m wrong, of course.
Debra Baddorf
Fermilab