On Tuesday 07 May 2019 08:01:42 pm Chris Hassell wrote:

> I don't allow a script to alter the repo unless it's in big neon.
>
> This is (btw) all placed in github ... so the actual clone is 'git
> clone'... and its mighty fast.  Far faster than a subversion copy or
> even a zip file.  I'd just try the below if you're okay with that.
> (Where in anywhere is gh.cf?   I can't find it in the repo and I've
> never used a gh.cf once.)
Somebody made a front end for scripts that made sure you were the correct
user, so I added by  my own  configure with the options I always used
sorta hard coded. The name was easy, for gene hesketts config.

So here is gh.cf:

#!/bin/sh
# since I'm always forgetting to su amanda...
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
        echo
        echo "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
        echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the"
        echo "user amanda, but must be installed by user root."
        echo
        exit 1
fi
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
        --with-group=disk \
        --with-owner=amanda \
        --with-gnu-ld \
        --prefix=/usr/local/ \
        --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
        --with-tape-server=coyote \
        --with-bsdtcp-security --with-amandahosts \
        --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda \
        --enable-manpage-build  \
        --with-readline \
        --with-gnutar=/bin/tar
        --with-security-file=/etc/amanda-security.conf
echo "sleeping for reading configures warnings"
echo "a make as amanda will continue after 75 seconds..."
sleep 75
make

Pretty simple, but guaranteed a build with consistant options.

I've also written a wrapper script so if the main drive explodes and
kills all your goldfish 10 minutes after the backup is done, saves
enough of the database to the tape such that a full bare metal recovery
puts the machine in the state it was in when the LAST backup was done, a
day later than amanda can do by itself.  Thats, in a slightly earlier
version, on my web page as GenesAmandaHelper-0.61.
> To drag in the current work I pushed that's definitely this (for
> 3.5.1) you need to make a branch off of origin/3_5, which has those
> changes I made.
>
> It does (if I recall correctly) require a user "amandabackup" to
> exist, but that's all.   The user 'amanda' (?), not so sure if that's
> made in the build or not.
>
> So use this entirely as yourself in your home/tmpdir or somewhere ...
> (building isn't installing, so the security is far less)
>
> % git clone git://github.com/zmanda/amanda.git
>
> Then (still as yourself) ...
>
> % git checkout -b 3_5mine origin/3_5   # current target I'm assuming?
>
> % bash autogen && ./packaging/deb/buildpkg
>
> and with all the latest debian goodness it creates the debian packages
> which only then deserve a new user to install them.
>
> Give it a whirl, hopefully with a zippier little clone from git.
>
>     -- CH
Printed for when I'm awake, its getting sleepy out now.  Thanks Chris.

Copyright 2019 by Maurice E. Heskett
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)