On Saturday 25 May 2019 03:25:22 pm Nathan Stratton Treadway wrote:

> On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 05:26:03 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I went back to salsa, and searched for amanda, and finally found a
> > gfx button that would download the amanda-master tarball.
>
> (Of course the "upstream" Amanda code found on Salsa originally comes
> from the Zmanda sources, but it's not up-to-date v.s. any post-release
> commits found in the Zmanda GitHub repo, and in general I think you
> will likely end up causing confusion for yourself by trying to build
> from Salsa.)
>
> > Running my gh.cf configure script after changing the group from disk
> > to backup it appears I need to add at least 2 more options to my
> > script.
> >
> > 1. I need to shut off and and all attempts to use ipv6, I am at
> > least 100 miles from any ipv6 services here, so how do I pass that
> > to ./configure?
>
> Why do you think you need to turn off IPv6 in Amanda?  Modern distros
> such as Strech will have IPv6 configured out of the box, and all the
> standard packages will be build with that assumption.  It doesn't hurt
> anything for Amanda to have IPv6 support enabled; if your ISP (and
> your local network configuration) doesn't support it, it just won't
> actually be used at run time....

Amanda may well work that way, but if the networking event gets a faint
whiff of ipv6, it won't assign a route to the ipv4 setup.  local host
work fine, a dns lookuo is stuck in your shirt pocket and the network
hardware is wasting power doing zip.

> On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 06:38:28 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Some progress, and some messages I don't understand. I've fixed all
> > the ownership problems I can, but if its looking in the wrong place
> > and not finding the file, the complaint should not be that the file
> > isn't owned by root.
> >

> > Last pass at trying to run amcheck:
> > backup@coyote:/home/amanda/amanda-master$ /usr/local/sbin/amcheck
> > Daily Amanda Tape Server Host Check
> > -----------------------------
> > ERROR: holding disk '/usr/dumps': not writable: Permission denied
> >        check permissions
>
> Holding disk is configured in your amanda.conf file (.  (Is
> "/usr/dumps" what you intended to use for that?)
>
> > ERROR: log dir '/usr/local/var/amanda/Daily' (Permission denied):
> > not writable
>
> This is set by the "logdir" in your amanda.conf file.  If that is the
> path you want it to use, what do
>   # ls -ld /usr/local/var/amanda/Daily
> and
>   # ls -l /usr/local/var/amanda/Daily | tail
> show?
>
> > Can't locate JSON.pm in @INC (you may need to install the JSON
> > module) (@INC
>
> Seems like you need to install the "libjson-perl" package.

Done. Searching for JSON.pm was fruitless. So much for compiler error
messages meaning what they say... I did install some cousins earlier but
that was no help. This actully installed 4 pkgs.

> > Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> > --------------------------------
> > ERROR: coyote: selfcheck request failed:
> > file/dir '/usr/local/etc/amanda-security.conf'
> > (/usr/local/etc/amanda-security.conf) is not owned by root
> > ERROR: shop: selfcheck request failed:
> > file/dir '/usr/local/etc/amanda-security.conf'
> > (/usr/local/etc/amanda-security.conf) is not owned by root
>
> I'm not immediately finding the discussion in the archives, but If I
> remember correctly from some earlier discussion on this topic, the
> confusing thing about this message is that it's run once per client
> machine, but it's actually checking the amanda-security.conf file on
> the server.

I don't think so, as earlier today I was getting rid of some of the error
messages by editing the client files. But 2 clients didn't even have it,
so you could well be right. And there is 2 copies on this, the server.
May. or may not be identical. So I just nuked the one not named.

> In any case, what does
>   # ls -l /usr/local/etc/amanda-security.conf
> (on your server) show?
rw-r--r-- 1 gene staff 1986 Oct 31
2018 /usr/local/etc/amanda-security.conf

And its 100% comments.  What is it supposed to contain? If the comments
are correct, I expect I can fix it.

>                                                       Nathan
Thanks Nathan.
>------ Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic
> region Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -
> http://www.ontko.com/ GPG Key:
> http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239 Key
> fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239

Copyright 2019 by Maurice E. Heskett
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)