I use amvault to tertiarary media (LTO-2, I am just a casual home user) while my main archive is VTL on a slow NAS.  I use cron, but obviously I could just run as-needed from the command line.

You're right, it is a bit hard to intuit, and I had to get some help from the community here as it is using overrides.

The command line I use is as follows:

/usr/sbin/amvault -q --latest-fulls --dest-storage "tape_storage" vtl

Where vtl is the config.  The key part is the "tape_storage" which refers to the appropriate vault-storage template in the amanda conf file.  E.g.

storage "vtl"
vault-storage "tape_storage"

define storage "tape_storage" {
    erase-on-failure yes
    policy "HP_Robot"
    runtapes 1
    set-no-reuse no
    tapedev "LTO-2"
    tapetype "LTO2"
    tapepool "$r"
    tpchanger "LTO-2"
    labelstr "Vault-[1-7]"
    autolabel "Vault-%" any
}

define changer LTO-2 {
    tpchanger "chg-single:/dev/nst0"
    device-property "LEOM" "TRUE"
}

define tapetype LTO2 {
   comment "HP Ultrium 448, hardware compression off"
   length 193024 mbytes
   filemark 0 kbytes
   speed 20355 kps
}

Obviously for you it will be simpler since you don't have to engage the SCSI subsystem and define actual tapetype parameters or fiddle with blocksizes.  And you're not limited to a single "tape".