Am 22.03.22 um 05:34 schrieb Winston Sorfleet:
I use amvault to tertiarary media (LTO-2, I am just a casual home user) while my main archive is VTL on a slow NAS.  I use cron, but obviously I could just run as-needed from the command line.

You're right, it is a bit hard to intuit, and I had to get some help from the community here as it is using overrides.

The command line I use is as follows:

/usr/sbin/amvault -q --latest-fulls --dest-storage "tape_storage" vtl

Thanks, Winston,

I got vaulting up and running now, in my case with a physical and a virtual changer. Reading from the physical tapes and writing to the virtual tapes now.

But more questions arise ;-)

Maybe amvault isn't exactly what I need: I would prefer to write to both storages from the same holding disk files. That would avoid stressing the physical tapes so much.

Would that work with amvault or would it need a second "storage" definition instead of a "vault-storage" definition?

Would it work with clever thresholds? I assume no: the threshold values don't get changed after writing to the first changer, files would just stay in the holding disk (until removed next time?).

Found this old thread:

https://www.backupcentral.com/forum/14/290509/approaches_to_amanda_vaulting_

quote:

"Amanda 3.5 can do everything you want only by running the amdump command.

Using an holding disk:

* You configure two storages
* All dumps go to the holding disk
* All dumps are copied to each storages, not necessarily at the same
time or in the same run.
* The dumps stay in holding until they are copied to both storages"

So that sounds like two "storage" definitions.

Will try.

Hints welcome, as always.