On Thu, 07 Apr 2022 05:29:21 -0400
gene heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience at useing more than 1 drive in a
> vtape setup?

Yes.

One problem with LVM by itself is that there is no redundancy. Loose a
hard drive, and any volume groups on it or partially on it are likely
toast. For redundancy, you need RAID.

I now have three 4TB hard drives in a RAID 5 array. This is purely for
data storage, vtapes among other things. All system and user files are
on a separate SSD.

It works as follows:

Three hard drives, each with one partition on it.

On top of the three partitions, one RAID 5 array.

On top of the RAID array, encryption. It uses the same passphrase as
the encrypted portions of the SSD, so I need only enter one passphrase
at boot.

On top of the encrypted array, an LVM volume group, with one volume and
lots of spare room for expansion.

On top of the logical volume, an ext4 file system.

Everything works nicely. I've had one hard drive fail. RAID took up the
slack, and was able to chug along nicely for several weeks with only two
hard drives. Once I installed the replacement and added it to the
array, RAID went about propagating data to the new drive with no
complaints or problems.

I also generate files of sha512sums and sha256sums, which I use to
check the data from time to time. Data integrity seems to be good.

Vtapes are on the one logical volume that exists.

Oh, and for the truly paranoid, I have three USB drives which I rotate
to off-site storage and take with me on trips. I use rsync to back up
portions of the logical volume to the off-site backups.

For more information,
https://charlescurley.com/blog/posts/2019/Nov/02/backups-on-linux/

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?