I do client initiated rdiff-backup via locked down ssh key (ie append only)
to my server.

Then i run amanda backup weekly to backup the latest pushed backup to tape
(ignoring rdiff-backups history).

This way i have both a quick restore for normal use and a mostly offline
(only turned on during saturdays) safe backup when things really go wrong.