On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 13:02:33 +0700
Olivier <olivier.nic...@cs.ait.ac.th> wrote:

> I have had Amanda running for over a decade,

I have also been running Amanda for a long time. When I implemented the
proposed work-around, I found I had no definition of amgtar.

Is there a preferred canonical (no wordplay intended) definition,
perhaps from more recent versions of Amanda?

After much digging around on the net, man pages, etc., here is what I
added to my amanda.conf. This may be useful to other folks.

# from the man page for amgtar

  # define application-tool app_amgtar {
  #   plugin "amgtar"
  #   property "ATIME-PRESERVE" "NO"
  #   property "CHECK-DEVICE" "YES"
  #   # property "GNUTAR-LISTDIR" "/path/to/listdir"
  #   # property "GNUTAR-PATH" "/bin/tar"
  #   property "GNUTAR-PATH" "/usr/bin/tar"
  #   property "ONE-FILE-SYSTEM" "YES"
  #   property "TAR-BLOCKSIZE" "20"
  #   property "SPARSE" "YES"
  #   property "ACLS" "NO"
  #   property "SELINUX" "NO"
  #   property "XATTRS" "NO"
  #   property "EXIT-HANDLING" "1=GOOD 2=BAD"
  #   # change a default NORMAL regex to a STRANGE regex.
  #   property "STRANGE" ": socket ignored$"
  #   # add three new IGNORE regex
  #   property append "IGNORE" ": Directory has been renamed"
  #   property append "IGNORE" "file changed as we read it$"
  # }

#define application-tool and dumptype for the amgtar application
define application-tool app_amgtar {
    comment "amgtar"
    plugin  "amgtar"
    property "GNUTAR-PATH" "/usr/bin/tar"
    #property "GNUTAR-LISTDIR" "/path/to/gnutar_list_dir"
                    #default from gnutar_list_dir setting in amanda-client.conf
}

A typical dumptype now looks like:

define dumptype root-tar {
    global
    # program "GNUTAR"
    program "APPLICATION"
    application "app_amgtar" # per
    comment "root partitions dumped with tar"
    compress none
    priority low
    index yes
}