Hi Lou,

 I'm using the same version as you, although in Fedora 37
amanda-3.5.3-1.fc37.x86_64 and I don't see that behaviour, I have some
machines that are down and the rest of the backups were made.

 In my case I have this

  planner: ERROR Request to MACHINE failed: Connection refused

 From what you wrote, it seems gallifrey.ivriel is not down is
responding, but has some problems reporting the size.

 Maybe this page will help

https://www.zmanda.com/knowledge-base/eof-on-read-error-from-a-client/

 Although if is aborting all the planner it seems a bug, or there are
other reasons for aborting all the planner, maybe checking if the
etimeout  is not very low.

Cheers,
Nuno

--