Greetings,

we use amanda with usb disks and manually change them every day. I configured udev to create a symlink to /dev/amanda-vtape when the disk is plugged in.

In /etc/fstab I configured this device so it can be mounted to /mnt/amanda-vtape by the amanda user. This works for many years very well. Changer configuration is:

define changer mnt-amanda-vtape {
       tpchanger "chg-disk:/mnt/amanda-vtape"
       property "num-slot" "1"
       property "auto-create-slot" "yes"
       property "removable" "yes"
       property "mount" "yes"
       property "umount" "yes"
       property "umount-lockfile" "/var/lib/amanda/amanda-vtape.lock"
       property "umount-idle" "1"
       device-property "ENFORCE_MAX_VOLUME_USAGE" "false"
}

Nowerdays the people changing the disks frequently work at home. So it would be nice to plug in more than one disk and have a tape changer scan for more than one disk. I understand there is no changer included in amanda which is directly capable of that.

I tried to use chg-aggregate, duplicated the above changer, but changed the mount point and lock file, and created this changer:

define changer mnt-amanda-morethanone-vtape {
        tpchanger "chg-aggregate:{mnt-amanda-vtape,mnt-amanda-vtape2}"
        property "state-filename" "/var/lib/amanda/aggregate-state"
}

Experiments with this suggest that on failure to mount a disk for the first chg-disk, it aborts with error and does not try the other one:

root@peapod:~# su backup -s /bin/bash -c "/usr/sbin/amcheck DailySet1"
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
NOTE: Holding disk '/mnt/amandaholdingdisk/hd/DailySet1': 2960 MB disk space available, using 2960 MB
mount: /mnt/amanda-vtape2: must be superuser to use mount.
ERROR: mnt-amanda-vtape2: No removable disk mounted on '/mnt/amanda-vtape2'
Server check took 0.349 seconds

Shoudn't the aggregate changer try the next changer in this case? (The error message "must be superuser" can be ignored, when the device symlink from udev exists, it works.)

Also, I cannot think of a way to tell udev to create stable distinct device symlinks for more than one arbitrary usb disk. I could use /dev/sdc, /dev/sdd... but this is not very reliable if someone adds a disk to the system. It would be possible to create nodes like /dev/amanda-vdisk-3.1.2-0... or so (using the linux system device path) but how could amanda find these? After all, chg-disk needs the mount point, not the device node.

Current amanda version: 3.5.1
System: Debian bullseye

udev config:
KERNEL=="sd[a-z]", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", DRIVERS=="usb-storage", SYMLINK+="amanda-vtape-disk", OWNER="backup", GROUP="backup

/etc/fstab:
/dev/amanda-vtape /mnt/amanda-vtape ext4 noauto,owner,nofail 0 2

Any hints? Thanks in advance.
Moritz

--
aldebaran Programmierung & IT-Lösungen GmbH
Softwareentwicklung / Individualsoftware

mail:    i...@aldebaran.de     https://www.aldebaran.de
Tel:     +49-511-270 416-0     Fax:  +49-511-270 416-33
Adresse: Hanomaghof 2          Ort:    D-30449 Hannover

Geschäftsführung: Moritz Both    -    Dr. Torsten Crass
                  Barbara Kraus  -  Ursula (Usch) Wildt

Handelsregister:        Amtsgericht Hannover HRB 56 991

Informationen zur Verarbeitung personenbezogener Daten:
https://www.aldebaran.de/datenschutz/