On 2/14/24 15:33, Winston Sorfleet wrote:
Glad to see you're still alive and kicking Gene.  While hardly Amanda-specific, given you're likely to be doing a lot more writes (backups) than reads (restores), you probably want to give some thought your file system choice (I'd think XFS maybe) and operating parameters accordingly.  Not to mention your NFS sync options.  You might even want to tune your Ethernet MTU particularly if you're pre-compressing via Amanda comp-tar.

File systemwise I'm fam with ext4, and my experience with NFS has been poor at best. I've been using sshfs shares fot about 20 years now, no surprises, unlike NFS and samba/cifs. XFS might be tried if I could actually find something that explains the diffs down to the dirt under its fingernails level.

Do you have a link to something educational in that arena?

Thanks Winston.

On 2024-02-14 04:21, gene heskett wrote:
Greetings All;

Due to the simultainious failure of a pair of 2T seacrates, spinning rust, which p'd me off so bad there is now only one spinning rust drive left here at the Heskett Ranchete's 8 or 9 machine network.

So I've been out of the amanda users category for a couple years.

So here's a description of what I am building:

A 5 drive slot bare drive cage, top slot occupied by a bpi-m5 running a full desktop armbian install, but headless. Slots 2 & 3 will be occupied by a pair of 4T SSD's and a pair of 2T gigastone SSD's for 12T worth of vtapes. the 4th slot will have at least one, maybe 2, 1T samsung SSD's. Or 2 mote 2T gigastones since I have them two separate subdirs on each of these 2 drives, one for amandas database on 1 drive, and a copy on the other drive, done by rsync as the second line of the cron trigger'd nightly amanda backup and 2nd dir on each as a 2 drive lvm for a holding disk.

This will all run on a 5V10A psu in slot 5. A 7 port usb3 hub glued to the side of the drive cage and startech usb-3 to sata-III adapters will complete the wiring mess. One cat5 connected to the bpi-m5 & plugged into my main net switch.  The amanda will be the arm64 version from the debian bookworm repos.

So get out your anti-aircraft battery's and shoot me down! What did I miss IOW?

Yeah, thru the magic of the cath lab at WVU-Ruby, I am still here, doing my thing with 3d printers these days, and my next b-day if I make it to October will be my 90th.

Many thanks, take care, stay warm and well everyone.

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.
.

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)