John,

> I'm preparing a specfile for amavisd-new 2.4.3 on SuSE and I not sure what
> the minimal requirement of Perl::Net::Server is for use with
> Amavisd-new-2.4.3. My current 2.3.3 setup is running happely with
> perl::Net::Server 0.88. Is this suffient for Amavisd-new 2.4.3 (Postfix /
> non milter setup)? Or do I need to upgrade to version 0.94?

Unless given good reasons, always go for the latest version, currently 0.94.

I believe the minimal required version is 0.87.
Versions 0.91 and 0.92 are better avoided (they were short-lived,
fixed in 0.93)

> I also red that there are some Perl bug issues with older Perl versions.
> Does anybody has experience on
> Perl 5.8.1 (SuSE 9.0)
> Perl 5.8.3 (SuSE 9.1 / SLES 9)
> Perl 5.8.5 (SuSE 9.2)

The 5.8.2 or later should be acceptable, the 5.8.1 is probably usable as well
if heavy reliance on UTF-8 support is not needed. Stay away from 5.8.0.
5.6.1 may be usable, but hasn't been tried sufficiently with more recent
versions of amacisd-new.

There is one (actually two) patch(es) for amavids-new-2.4.3 that I posted
to regain compatibility with 5.8.0, but probably very few people need it,
as 5.8.0 is to be avoided anyway. The patch will be in 2.4.4.