Jona,

> I'm planning to set up a personal spam filtering gateway. It should
> collect mail from several remote POP servers, scan them through amavis
> and make them available through an IMAP server.
> I managed to figure out how to configure every piece of software
> involved, there is only one step that causes a bit of trouble. In fact
> there is no need for any MTA in this setup. Amavis will get the mail
> from fetchmail using plain SMTP and should pass it to dovecot.

What Gary suggested would be a preferred setup.

Its benefits are:
- fetchmail is decoupled from content filtering, mail gets brough-in
  even when amavisd is down or in trouble for some reason;
  fetchmail retries (which may be problematic) are avoided;
- amavisd is able to send notifications (DSN, admin notifications)
  to a local MTA which is always available (otherwise the mail fetching
  would need to be re-tried);
- if mailbox is in trouble (e.g. disk full, over quota), mail stays
  in local MTA queue, no need for repeated fetchmail attempts.

> I planned that Amavis would pass the mail on to procmail which stores it
> in the MailDir format for dovecot to read it. The problem is that Amavis
> doesn't support to relay directly to procmail or any other MDA.

It does support piping to a command, e.g. as can be used in a sendmail setup.
(although it is not a preferred way, the pipe interface is missing some
of the SMTP protocol features, like being able to report a problem description
back). Also in multiple-recipient messages piped command would need to
implement non-delivery notifications (as it can only accept all or none),
which is usually not the case with simple MDA programs.

> That would mean that I have to use an MTA for the sole purpose of
> relaying mail between Amavis and procmail. That's a bit of overkill IMHO.

It adds reliability and predictability to the setup.

> I read in the documentation that Amavis can call sendmail via the
> command line. Is this interface flexible enough to call procmail
> instead? Is anybody aware of a wrapper script?

Probably it is, although I never tried it for such a purpose.