Nicklas,

> I can reproduce this by sending a 1MB zip archive containing some random
> files and one empty (zero byte sized) file. It seems like something goes
> nuts when the clamd scanning not finishing as expected.
>
> In this case I get "do_unzip: p003, zero length members, archive retained".
> Seems like this is triggering the odd behaviour on the other end.

I'm working on better timeouts for daemonized AV checkers,
but we should really take a look at your log and timestamps
there and timestamps in a MTA log, to know what happened.
My first guess is still that your MTA gives up way too soon.
Its timeout should be comfortably (say 50%) above $child_timeout,
which is 8 minutes by default.